Car Accident Injuries in New Orleans, LA
Car accidents can result in serious injury and extensive property damage. Victims often need medical treatment and are unable to work for some period of time following the accident. If you are involved in an automotive accident you may be entitled to damages to compensate for your pain, property damage, and loss of vision and other damages. Hammond Law Firm LLC can guide you from start to finish, because we have the experience and the knowledge to effectively represent in an auto accident case. Experience and knowledge is of great importance when choosing an attorney, and we have over 25 years of experience in auto cases.
What to do If Injured in a Car Accident
- Make sure you and everyone else involved is okay and call an ambulance if needed. Do not be embarrassed to ask for help or to admit that you have been hurt. Your well being should be your first priority. Make sure to check if anyone hit their heads, chest, knees, or other parts of their body against anything in the vehicle. Impacts against steering wheels, dashboards, and other parts of the car, can cause serious injury. If the accident was particularly bad, call an ambulance as you may suffer from internal bleeding or other conditions which are not immediately visible to the human eye.
- Call the police. If you make a claim with an insurance company without a police report you may run into trouble. The other driver may dispute the facts, and if the evidence is ambiguous the insurer may only offer relatively limited compensation. Call the police and wait for them to arrive. Cooperate with the officer and remain polite and calm. The officer can do his or her job better if you are clear and responsive to the questions. Also, make the officer aware of any witnesses to the accident.
- Take the names, numbers, and addresses of any witnesses to the accident. Witnesses often do not want to be involved, but it is important for you to take down the information of anyone who saw the accident. Witnesses can corroborate the facts of the accident, helping you access the compensation you may be entitled to.
- Take pictures. Record the damage done to all of the vehicles involved before they are moved. After the automobiles are moved, most of the evidence is lost. Take photographs or a video of the point of impact, debris on the street, damage to the vehicles, and any physical injuries sustained. Make sure to record traffic signs and traffic lights.
- Call an experienced personal injury lawyer before talking with an insurance adjuster. The insurance company will want to take down your statement, even if you have already filed one with the police. It will record your statement and will ask you a long series of questions that you not fully understand or be aware of their significance. The lawyers of Hammond Law Firm can help you prepare for this statement and can even attend the questioning with you.
Serious Car Accidents Require an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
The lawyers at Hammond Law Firm LLC will coordinate with your physician and other healthcare providers to determine and review all of the medical aspects of your case. Their detailed knowledge of Louisiana automotive regulations and liability and insurance law will help you get fully compensated for your case. Contact us to schedule your free case review.By Peirce Hammond